Thursday, November 14, 2013

How do you de-clutter your life?

I have a friend who wants to retire, sell everything she owns, and travel the world.  Her philosophy is we are tied down by "stuff".  I admire her goal and often feel overwhelmed by all of my "stuff".  Where did it all come from?  Why do I have so much?  And what do I do with it?  Of course I like much of my stuff, but I also realize we live in a crazy materialistic world.

So, how do I get rid of so much stuff??? How do I de-clutter?  What do I need/not need?  I was talking to someone else who said she read a blog by a woman who gets rid of 1 thing a day and if she buys anything new she gets rid of 3 things in its place.  So I am committing to getting rid of 1 thing from each room, each day from now until Christmas.  It's a lot less overwhelming than trying to get rid of everything at one time.  It gives me time to think about what I want, need, and can get rid of and not miss.  When the new year rolls in I will start over - 1 thing a day until I feel less overwhelmed by so much "stuff".

No comments:

Post a Comment